Monday, September 15, 2008

The Headwaters


If you fish with me you know that I can never make up my mind, too many places to session and oh so little time. Talking with MFRW (Chris) doesn't help with the decision as he has is also on a quest to hit every nook and cranny searching for new adventures and it just adds more waters to the already long list.... but that's not always a bad thing either. After a few phone calls and some Internet weather searches the choice was made to venture MFRW's home water and its tributary's. It been awhile since either of us ventured up that way, I was looking forward to seeing an old friend and I'm certain Chris was too.


The drive is a quick one compared to the 4-6 hour drives I have been on lately... and with MFRW at the wheel time really flies if you know what I mean. One the way to the destination we pass a ton of water, its hard to pass up all this pristine water with nobody around, we keep with the original idea and keep moving. Arriving at the spot it was awesome. The colors of nature are changing and right before my eyes I am witnessing a transformation of one beauty to the next, I love the fall. I couldn't help to think that this was a good call, I was glad we came.

A little walk through the colorful forest was required to get to the small stream, followed by a brief down-climb into the canyon. The pallet of nature weighed heavy on my mind, so did the anticipation of finding the small Cutthroats, I felt alive. While walking deeper into the headwaters I couldn't help to think of how amazing the forest really is and of how there is no way I'll ever be able to capture this beauty with my camera...but I'll try and if it sucks, I'll use photoshop....if that sucks, I'll use the delete button, I've pretty much mastered that function.

Looking at the small fast water stream its hard to believe that there are large fish up here. But to those who know this gem, its hard to land them. The larger fish turn and run down stream through rocks, snags ans pools. More often than not I never land them. But I get to observe them feeding and doing whatever fish do before they take my fly. My heart is always racing before I cast to the 16" trophy, it skips a beat when I hook into it and bursts when I loose it. Although some dandy fish were hooked, none of the bruisers were landed. Although, twice the fish that broke us off was landed. This happened to Chris first then a bend later it happened to me. I had been fishing a Red Grand Hopper lately with good success and dropped a bead head off it. The fish took my dropper and snapped me off faster than.. well, I don't know.. it was just fast. Then I noticed my red hopper "swimming" upstream and holding in a shallow seam. I walked over and the hopper moved upstream again. Sweet! As I reached down to grab the fly I thought about the hook and how I was going to grab it quickly and hold on tight without getting hooked. I slowly moved my hand to the fly and felt the foam and tried to pinch it on the side. The fish took off and moved between a rock and a hard place... perfect! In my mind I said screw it and just went for it, lucky I got a good hold of the fly and far away from the hook. Miraculously, I landed the fish. I laughed out loud for I don't know how long, what a hoot! This small fat fish has left a lasting impression in my mind, I will forever remember that little guy.... and the beast MFRW lost, er, broke off, would loved to have seen that beauty.





A few unidentified bugs - yeah one is a bit out-of-focus... seems to always be the case with me, especially lately. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

5 comments:

CoreyK said...

the first unidentified bug looks like a 'velvet ant' to me ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutillidae

mike doughty said...

real nice bryan! gotta love the cutties

Scott Dickey said...

yeah, pretty sure that's what it is. Another great trip to a small stream.

BG said...

Thanks Cor... I'm glad I didn't touch it -->

From the link

"They are known for their extremely painful sting, the venom of which was jokingly stated to be powerful enough to kill a cow, hence the nickname "cow killers"

RB_Bugman said...

Correct folks. #1 is a femal Velvet Ant (actually a wingless wasp). #2 is a Sphinx Moth larva with parasitic wasp cocoons attached to the outside of the body. They feed inside the caterpillar until mature and then form cocoons on the exterior -fyi. Great pics. Nice fish too !