Friday, August 10, 2007

The Oasis




I was itching to catch some larger Trout. Where to go? "There is an oasis in the middle of nowhere," I was told by a friend. We made plans and off we went.

A little background….

I am not snooty, catching wild 12" Trout is very rewarding, but every year I get the sickness, bigger fish. Something around twenty-two inches and healthy would do. In the past the remedy was always cured with Stripped Bass, Bluefish and the mighty Blue-fin Tuna… truly a Giant! But the Ocean is not possible at the moment at yet in some way that's fine with me. I have experienced half of my lifetime catching large salt water fish, even caught two of the largest game fish, many, many times; Blue Marlin and Blue-fin tuna both exceeding a thousand pounds. That addiction leads me to one of the greatest travels in my life. Looking back, it was still about the adventure. Even those large fish could satisfy me. For some folks, getting one fish of that size is an accomplishment, a cherished moment that will be reflected upon for years to come, generations of tales will be told. Unfortunately for me, the thought of getting one, and then actually achieving that goal, is just the beginning to my dedication of the search. The adventures are really about getting to the end of your world and then keep on going, exploring the vast unknown. It's a place where life reflections happen and arrogant becomes compassion and the truth is assured that concrete really sucks. Its where life's empty moments getting re-filled again, recharged batteries if you will. I guess, like modern medicine, that the more you take it the more tolerant to it you can become. It requires just a little more each time until it doesn't work any longer and a new cure will be needed. Well that's where I find myself at this point in my life. A new yet old yearning is calling, back to the mountains. I am from the Rocky Mountains, born and raised following streams and chasing wildlife then I left in search of far off places and salt-water adventures. I am intrigued again by the Mountains and often ponder what my life would have been like if I had never left this place. Sometimes I wish that I had never left. Always thinking I would have become a better this and a greater that, and how I might have missed out. But I am glad that this is all new to me again, it gives me the freedom that I enjoy. I think its something good and pure to look forward too in this corrupt world we live in. But most of all I am glad it didn't get old and boring and who knows perhaps after the next few years I might have quit.

Now searching for large tout we came around the bend, over the horizon looked to be a baron wasteland for miles. A few turns here and a few turns there, over the hill and wow, I was shocked. He was right, an oasis in the middle of nowhere. How peculiar to see Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles, Osprey, Red-tail Hawks and at night Owls in the middle this forgotten part of the world. It was very strange indeed and I learned again that the old saying still holds true, "never judge a book by its cover". Not only were the birds huge but also the fish are something that can be boasted about but never revealed. It was the first time that I actually saw a true trophy Trout, well I saw them swimming away before even getting the chance to cast. My fist attempt at catching ended in a few seconds, I blew it bad. The cast was good until the wind took it at the last second and it landed off course; right on top of the fish. Two shakes of the tail and it went out of sight. @#*@%%@^!!!!!! No!! How could this be? I was humbled and vowed not to be so anxious the next time. Walking up the stream we spotted a bubble line in good "happy" water. This spot looked very promising. Nate was up, casts at the tail end… fly lands perfectly tight to the bubble line… got the drift and of course got a nice fish, Rainbow, not a trophy but man a fighter! Seriously, it fought well beyond its respectable size. Well, Nate gave me the go ahead to cast at the front, very generous. His exact words were something like "your going to get one there", yeah those were the exact words. I had on my recent go to fly. A local tier's prototype pattern with a peculiar name, its still in the works and has been a true soldier everywhere these past few months. I made the cast; fly hits the water and nothing… repeat… Picking up the fly we see a follow then a retreat back to its feeding position. Ummm, I thought hopefully it didn't spook like the last fifty fish. Cast again and I was surprisingly on, so surprised I was fumbling at the reel. As I was pulling it together the fish turned and ran down stream. I was trying to put the fish on the reel and that was all it took to loose the fish. So close, we saw it and almost touched it. That was tuff loss. I am going after downstream next time, lesson learned. We managed to pick a few off here and there during the duration of the day, not many but any means. There are far fewer fish that live here, so covering water is the name of the game. On one of the last spots I was working the shoreline, just like I have done all day. When again I was caught off guard. A rather large surface attack, I was tight, this was a nice fish. The fish started to run downstream, so I ran after it. After a few moments running side by side I think that the fish thought that this is crazy and tuned back heading up stream. Well after all that I finally got on in the net. Woo-hoo!! Finally!! The rest of the night didn't really matter. I was content and the next few hours were very enjoyable. E fished into the night tossing caddis and mice. I landed a nice 6" trout on the mouse pattern, crazy little fellow. The drive home was a tired one, but made it home in one piece. Overall it was a superb trip and I guess I owe Nate a huge thank you for bringing me along, Thanks Nate!!!

No comments: