Sunday, April 29, 2007

Bass on a Fly

I finally got the opportunity to target Bass with a fly.
The day started off with a few strikes on top but nothing special. Cheech picked up a Bass pretty quickly and I stayed with my foam frog. To my surprise a little "Brimma" (Blue-Gill) took the foam frog. It was not a real productive fly but I really wanted to catch fish using my own creations. Cheech went tight again. Alrighty then, I need to re-think my choice of flies. He was fishing subsurface using dumbbell eyes with rubber legs. Looking through my box the only thing I found was a small crawdad imitation that I use at Strawberry. So on it goes. We decided to sight fish, which made all the difference. We searched out the shoreline looking for Mr. Bass. Well... I got one! Holy smokes I thought my rod was going to break... but it didn't. I was on again! This little disregarded fly that patiently sits in my fly box surrounded by veteran solders was today's unsung hero. Cheech and I took turns hooking Bass and taking photos. In a few hours we had landed a dozen or so along with a few small blue-gill. Time was running out for me on this adventure, I had responsibilities to attend to, work. We motored back to the dock after a great day on the water. At the dock there are some really nice looking Bass. These fish get fished for by every angler that passes by. I am sure they have seen every fly, lure and trick in the book. Well, they haven't seen mine. To my surprise I was lucky enough to hook a few more.... in front of the "bait chuckers" none the less, he he he...












Another great adventure to add to my life and I can't wait to go back to try it again. After I felt the tug of a Bass, I can't help but think of what it would be like to catch a Carp with a fly.....


1 comment:

BLUEANGLER said...

Holy #@$...What a great photos and the steelhead-size bass : P
Great report, Man!